- Never dump anything into storm drains, dry wells or drainage swales.
- Report materials being dumped into storm drains.
- Keep trash out of storm drains.
- Never allow roof gutters to drain directly into the street or storm drains.
- Avoid spilling fertilizers and pesticides in areas that can wash into storm drains.
- For free, dispose household hazardous waste (paints, solvents, used oil, antifreeze, batteries, pesticides and fluorescent bulbs) at a regional solid waste disposal site.
- Never flush prescription or over the counter medications down toilets or drains.
- Use water-based rather than oil-based paints.
- Recycle used oil and antifreeze at a regional solid waste disposal site. Oil can also be recycled at approved drop sites, such as automotive shops.
Lawn and Garden
- Follow product directions, do not over apply.
- Don’t over water, it can allow fertilizers to reach ground water or storm drains.
- Use slow-release, environmentally friendly fertilizers.
- Consider using natural pest control, such as lady bugs.
- Plant ground cover to reduce erosion.
- Scoop pet waste and put into your garbage.