On the Avista website you can see a list of emergency response details.
If your power goes out and you have not been notified in advance, please check both your electric meter and your circuit breakers. If the dial on your electric meter is spinning or if the display shows a read or flashing 88888’s, the issue will be with your equipment. Flip all your breakers to the off position and then back to the on position, including the main breaker. To report a power outage call (800) 227-9187
If you smell or hear a gas leak, call us immediately at (800) 227-9187 from a cell phone or neighbors phone.
Although you can’t see natural gas, it’s all around you, maybe in your home, maybe running through pipes in your backyard. Colorless, odorless and lighter than air, natural gas becomes combustible when mixed with air and exposed to an ignition source. That’s why we add an odorant that smells like rotten eggs so you’ll know right away if there’s a problem.
Signs of a natural gas leak may include:
- Blowing or hissing sounds.
- Dust blowing from a hole in the ground.
- Continuous bubbling in wet or flooded areas.
- Dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area.
If you smell or hear gas in your home or business, follow these steps:
- Don’t smoke, light matches, turn electrical switches on or off, use the telephone or do anything else that might create a spark.
- Evacuate everyone from the area, and keep others away.
- Call 911 and Avista at (800) 227-9187 from a neighbor’s phone.
- Don’t go back inside your home or building until Avista says it is safe.